zoe@greenmigration.com.au +61 417 837 973
Be prepared: Professional Registration and Requirements to Work in Australia
November 9, 2015

Meeting the requirements for an Australian visa and getting it granted is one step, getting the job you want is another! If you are thinking of coming to Australia on any type of visa which allows work, it is a good idea to look into the Australian requirements to work in your occupation.

Many people coming on Working Holiday visas come to travel and work in hospitality or farm work. However, others on Working Holiday visas, secondary applicants with full work rights, or those holding other visas with work rights may be planning on working in more specific occupations. Many people may not realise how difficult it is or how much time it takes to get the required documentation to begin work.


  • Don’t assume because you are qualified to work in your profession back home that you will automatically be allowed to work in Australia
  • Google the relevant professional organisation for your occupation in Australia
  • Contact your relevant professional organisation
  • Don’t assume there is one general requirement in all States and Territories in Australia
  • If possible, don’t leave it to when you have applied for the visa, or are already in Australia to look at the requirements
  • Look into the requirements for applying for a Tax File Number (TFN). Everyone who works in Australia needs this number. Note, you can only apply after you have entered Australia
  • Collect, and bring with you, relevant certified copies of your qualifications and registrations from back home. Just in case!
  • Don’t assume that a job advertisement will include all the requirements. Some employers may not be used to employing workers from overseas. Do your own research and/or talk to the potential employer early in the application process to avoid disappointment or delays
  • Look into other registrations or checks you may need, for example:
    • Australian Federal Police check (you can apply online very easily)
    • A Working with Children check or DCSI screening (in South Australia) if you are going to be working with vulnerable people

Please note that when applying for a permanent visa or an employer sponsored visa you may be required to undertake a skills assessment. Registration or licencing in a profession and a skills assessment are sometimes separate applications and may have different requirements.

Other useful links:

The information in this post is general and only valid at the time of publication. For specific advice about your situation please contact us or use our visa assessment form

Disclaimer:The information available on this website is general. You should consult a Registered Migration Agent for individual advice on your situation.
A Registered Migration Agent must act in accordance with the
Code of Conduct.

Proud member of:   

Registered with:    

© Green Migration 2015