Using a Registered Migration Agent
It is not a legal requirement to use a Registered Migration Agent to lodge a visa application with Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). However, they will provide valuable assistance. Only Registered Migration Agents can legally give immigration assistance in Australia. To do this, they must be listed on the Register of Migration Agents, held by the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
The profession is highly regulated. A Registered Agent have to complete a Graduate Certificate in Migration Law and Practice. They must also keep up to date with migration law changes by attending many professional development courses. This ensures that a Registered Migration Agent operating in Australia is highly qualified.
Due to this level of education and experience an agent can accurately give you advice and assistance with lodging an application with the best possible chance of a positive outcome.
What can a Registered Migration Agent do for me?
- Perform visa eligibility assessment
- Assist and guide you through the application process including the required documentation
- Assist and guide you through a skills assessment application process including the required documentation
- Prepare your visa application and any required supporting submissions
- Submit your visa application
- Liaise with DIBP during the processing of your visa application until a decision on your visa is made which may include providing further documentation or information
- Provide advice regarding visa conditions and requirements
Be aware that a Registered Migration Agent:
- cannot guarantee the success of an application
- cannot help you get a visa if you do not meet the visa requirements
- cannot guarantee an application will be processed faster with them