zoe@greenmigration.com.au +61 417 837 973

Frequently Asked Questions

If my visa is refused, will the Immigration Department give me my money back?

It is very rare to get a refund, especially if the application has proceeded far enough that a decision has been made on it. There are limited circumstances where the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) issues refunds. This is usually after an application is withdrawn, before a decision is made. Usually some other circumstances have to exist for a refund to be issued. For example, DIBP has made an error in over charging, the application is in relation to an employer sponsored application and the subsequent sponsorship or nomination has not been approved, or the applicant is now deceased.

Obtaining a refund for a review of a migration decision at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) has similar rules for withdrawal of applications. However, if you receive a favourable decision on the AAT case, you will receive a 50% refund of the AAT fee.

I don’t have a University Degree, can I get a skilled visa?

While all occupations require some type of formal qualification or a significant amount of experience to substitute for a qualification, there are many occupations which don’t require it to be at University level.

There are many Certificate or Diploma level occupations on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) (which is the list for independent skilled migration). There are also many other trade occupations on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL) (which is the list used for the employer sponsored 457 visa).

An employer wants to sponsor me. Can I get a work visa?

Employer sponsored visas such as the Subclass 457 visa (temporary) and subclass 186/187 visas (permanent) exist to fill skills gaps in the Australian job market. You can only successfully get an employer sponsored visa if you and the employer meet all the visa requirements.

Yes, having an employer willing to sponsor you is an essential aspect of the application. However, it is not the only requirement.

You must have the required qualifications and/or experience in a specific occupation. There may also be English, registration and skills assessment requirements. The employer will also need to meet specific requirements.

If I marry an Australian do I become an Australian Resident or Citizen?

No, marrying an Australian will not automatically get you any type of Australian residency status.

There are a number of different visas you may be eligible for if you are in a relationship with an Australian. Both you and the Sponsor (the Australian partner) must meet certain requirements. Obviously one of the main requirements relates to the relationship.

You may be eligible for a partner visa if you are in a de facto relationship (generally defined as a couple who have been living together or not living permanently apart for at least 12 months). Or if the couple is married the strict 12 month rule does not have to be met. However, you will still need to prove you are in a genuine and ongoing relationship. A marriage certificate does not exempt you from having to provide a lot of evidence. Similarly, if you are applying for a Prospective Marriage visa (fiancé visa) on the basis of being engaged to an Australian, you must still prove you are in a genuine relationship.

How much does permanent residency (PR) cost?

The simple answer is: it’s not that easy. First of all there is no such thing as simply applying for permanent residency (PR). The Australian migration program is made of many sub-classes of visas (over 140). Some are temporary visas and others are permanent visas. Each has very specific requirements that need to be met for the specific visa to be successful.

If you are wanting to apply for a visa to come to or stay in Australia, you need to first determine the best visa to apply for. There might be one clear option, a few different options or you may unfortunately not qualify for any visa.

For example, if you are in a relationship with an Australian, the partner visa route may be the best way. But you have to meet very specific requires for the successful outcome of that visa.

Likewise, if you have skills and qualifications in an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) perhaps applying for an Independent Skilled visa is the way to go. You still have to obtain a positive Skills Assessment, have the required scores in a specified English test plus many other requirements.

Then payment may be the last hurdle.

Examples of Permanent Visa Immigration Fees and associated costs:

DIBP fees Subclasses 189/190/186/187:

  • Primary applicant – $3,600
  • Secondary Applicant (over 18) – $1,800
  • Secondary Applicant (under 18) – $900

Australian Federal Police check – $42

Full Medical Examination fees – $300 -$400

English Test fees – $280 – $587

Registered Migration Agent fees – Please contact us for a specific fee estimate, or book in for an initial consult.


*The information on this page is general and only valid at the time of publication. For specific advice about your situation, please contact us or use our visa assessment form

Disclaimer:The information available on this website is general. You should consult a Registered Migration Agent for individual advice on your situation.
A Registered Migration Agent must act in accordance with the
Code of Conduct.

Proud member of:   

Registered with:    

© Green Migration 2015