zoe@greenmigration.com.au +61 417 837 973
Special Arrangements for English Tests
March 1, 2016

Meeting the English requirement is often one of the most difficult steps potential migrants face when trying to apply for an Australian visa. The English tests are not easy, let alone if you have a visual, hearing or learning disability.

Passports issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland are valid for the English language exemption. Unfortunately, there are no other English test exemptions offered by The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). However, the specific English test providers may be able to accommodate special requirements you may have.

The different test providers have ways to help people who have special requirements, such as:

  • Hearing difficulties
  • Speaking difficulties
  • Visual difficulties
  • Learning difficulties

Examples of special arrangements could include the following:

  • Braille papers
  • Lip-reading version of the Listening test
  • Large print version of the test
  • Additional rest breaks
  • Writing your answers using a computer
  • Transparent coloured overlays

Be aware that you need to give the test centre a lot more notice than usual, 1 to 3 months, if you need to arrange for a modified test or special requirements. Please look at the links below to find the best option for your situation.

  • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test (also known as Certificate in Advanced English) – Special Requirements 

**Please note**

Although there are alternative tests for DIBP visa requirements, it is still very important that you check the English requirements of your relevant skills assessment or registration body. The tests and scores they accept may be different.


The information in this post is general and only valid at the time of publication. For specific advice about your situation, please contact us or use our visa assessment form.

Disclaimer:The information available on this website is general. You should consult a Registered Migration Agent for individual advice on your situation.
A Registered Migration Agent must act in accordance with the
Code of Conduct.

Proud member of:   

Registered with:    

© Green Migration 2015